Hi everyone!
I thought I'd go ahead and get things started on what will hopefully become a fun thing for all of us to do together.
It's actually good timing for an update anyway as yesterday was my one year anniversary here in LA.
It's been an interesting year. Some great things, some setbacks. I'll admit now that I went through a few months where I really hated this city and wasn't quite sure I wanted to be an actor, but I'm glad to say that I'm past that now. Acting is back to being the incredibly fun challenge it used to be, and while LA isn't my favorite city in the world, I've created a happy life here. I don't know if it's where I want to be here forever, but I do know that I want to be here now.
Central to that is my great group of friends. I've really found some winners out here. I got really lucky with my roommate as well.
I've been having a lot of fun the past few weeks in my Groundlings classes. Groundlings is an improv troupe out here similar to Second City in Chicago. A lot of Saturday Night Live people got their start at Groundlings. Anyway, I started taking classes there and it's definitely the best seven hours of my week.
Some friends of mine from work and Groundlings (small world, even out here) have an improv/sketch group that they brought along to LA with them from UC Irvine. They held auditions last week and I decided to go. It was a rough audition. Improv is hard enough when you trust your scene partner, even more so when you're doing it with people you've just met. Then we had to break off into small groups and write a sketch in 45 minutes before performing it. It was brutal, and I had my speech prepared for when my friends told me I didn't make it (Oh, it's fine. I realize I have a lot to work on. A lot of funny people were there.). Luckily they saw some potential though and I made it in. We start rehearsals tonight and I'm really excited. It will eat up all of my free time (we rehearse on Sundays and Wednesdays and perform on Thursdays) and it doesn't pay, but I'm super excited to have an opportunity to keep practicing improv and writing with a group of talented, ambitious performers.
I was able to become SAG eligible. SAG is the union out here. It all gets very confusing, but basically now I can still do non-union work, but I can get cast in union work without penalty for the producers. Hopefully this new development will help me land a theatrical agent so I can get some television and film work. I just did a mailing about a week ago, so hopefully I'll get a response.
Work is work. The entire restaurant business is suffering right now. It's the slow time of the year and then the economy is what it is. Luckily, our restaurant still stays busier than a lot of restaurants, and I generally get good sections so I make my money.
I still do my internships for the casting directors on Monday and Friday. They're fun, but tiring. I hope they'll lead to something and they'll throw me a role someday. :)
So I am busy and things are lining up to potentially be fantastic. At the same time, I miss Chicago and all of you horribly. I can't wait to visit again (I'm thinking January), and hopefully this will be the only year that I was only able to get home once.
That about does it for me. I'm anxious to hear from everyone else. Miss you all.
Much love,
Rob
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
loved your blog. miss you too, looking forward to all the great things to come your way.
Hi everyone! Thanks for getting this set up Rob. I was clueless as usual when it comes to anything with the computer but Dorene had a great idea and I knew just who to ask to get it done.
Most of you probably know I broke my foot and had surgery a week ago. Thanks for the cards and get well wishes. I'm getting used to the crutches but am so ready to be done with them. I don't like to slow down much or ask for help so it's been a frustrating time. I am enjoying my time off of work, though. I'm just going in half days this week but am getting a bit bored laying on the couch with my foot up.
Eli's baseball ended a couple of weeks ago and basketball should start soon. Tyler has a couple more weeks of soccer left; he's enjoying playing varsity as a freshman. It's a young team and should be much stronger next year.
Rob's been traveling to Michigan quite often teaching some classes he developed.
We loved our trip to California this past summer. Rob is lucky to live in such a pretty area with so many choices as far as the ocean, canyons and mountains to enjoy. It was great to go hiking so much while we were there. I would defintely recommend the ocean kayaking as well but I doubt I will ever go to Rob's bootcamp again!
I was so excited about the Cubs making postseason play but was pretty upset watching them choke last night. It would be tough knowing they were so strong all year to not deliver in October. But that might help explain the 100years, I guess.
Well, I'm off to the couch. Hope to see posts from everyone soon.
love, Pam
HI TO ALL . HOPE THIS WILL BE A FUN WAY TO STAY IN TOUCH. I AM HOME GOING STIR CRAZY , WAITING FOR MY KNEE TO HEAL ONCE & FOR ALL SO I CAN GET A JOB & START DOING ALL THE THINGS I HAD PLANNED WITH FAMILY & FRIENDS BEFORE I HAD THE SURGERY DONE. HAVE A NEW DR. WHO IS WORKING WITH ME TO GET THE PROBLEM SOLVED. OTHERWISE AM HAPPY & HAVING FUN DOING WHATEVER I CAN WITH MY BELOVED GANG.
nice to see a new blog from chris, hope we can all take a turn to let this great family what is going on in our lives.
Post a Comment